On 20 Sep 2018, Kenexis CEO Ed Marszal presented at the 2018 Kaspersky Industrial Cyber-Security conference in Sochi, Russia.
The topic of the presentation was Security PHA Review (SPR). The presentation provides a brief overview of the topic while highlighting a specific application – a oil pipeline pumping station. This example was chosen because an actual cyber-attack with significant physical damage was staged on this type of facility, no too far from Sochi. Mr. Marszal:
- Explained the equipment
- Showed how the attack occured
- Demonstrated the traditional risk analysis of the hazard
- Presented the weaknesses of the traditional risk analysis approach
- Provided an overview of SPR
- Showed how SPR would have identified the vulnerability to cyber-attack of the design
- Demonstrated how to pick an appropriate security level (SL) for the scenario
- Explain how an inherently safe design option was available but not used
- Illustrated several inerently safe against cyber-attack safeguards that could have been used to prevent the loss of containment accident
- Presented a summary of the benefits of SPR in this case and in general.
The encore performance is available on video here and on the Kenexis YouTube channel.